VisIVO (Visualization Interface for the Virtual Observatory) performs multi-dimensional data analysis and knowledge discovery of a-priori unknown relationships between multi-variate and complex datasets in Astrophysics.
VisIVO development started within the activities of the Virtual Observatory framework. It supplies users with functionality to render meaningfully highly-complex, large-scale datasets and create movies of such views using distributed computing infrastructures.
VisIVO provides an integrated suite of tools and services that can also be used in other scientific fields.
The VisIVO suite offers a variety of flavours as follows:
- VisIVO Desktop – a stand-alone application for interactive visualization on standard PCs
- VisIVO Server and Library – a platform for high performance visualization, and a library for running complex workflows on DCI, clouds and HPC infrastructures to efficiently produce complex views of the data-sets and full movies directly with the user-code internal data representation (i.e. without the need to create intermediate files)
- VisIVO and ViaLactea Science Gateways – web applications where it is possible to use VisIVO workflows for tabular data or images
- VisIVO Mobile – built around VisIVO Server to allow deployment of VisIVO functionalities directly from mobile devices
- VisIVO ViaLactea Visual Analytics – which allows to exploit a combination of all new-generation surveys of the Galactic Plane to analyze star forming regions of the Milky Way
- VisIVO VR – recently the VisIVO development has been exploited for the experimentation of cutting-edge interactive technologies of the Virtual Reality for the improvement of teaching and scientific dissemination.